Saturday, November 10, 2012

Disney Vacation 2012 - Helpful hints

Castle lit at night, before fireworks.

Day 1 Main Street





Or should I say 1st Disney Vacation? We are hooked, officially. We had a fabulous time with our 3 little ones under the age of 4. Yes, I said great time. Was it easy? No. Were there tantrums? Most definitely. But so worth it to see the looks on their faces during parades and meeting the characters up-close and personal. I can't wait to go back for the next trip with all 4. My husband may disagree. He got a bit flustered when the crankiness set in.
Ferry ride to Magic Kingdom
Lunch time, Day 1


That being said here are my tips for an easier time while at such an overwhelming place.

1. Bring a night light, if your kid is a young one. I thought about it but forgot. We stayed at World Quest Resort, our "room" was a 3 bedroom apartment. So, just like at home, the girls each got their own rooms. But the rooms were dark. Had to leave the bathroom light on and doors open. Not a big hassle but night lights would have made it better when they woke up in the middle of the night in an unfamiliar place.

2. Bringing your own stroller is worth it. Again, if your kids are young. It is A LOT of walking. Yes, you can rent them but the one feature the rentals don't have is reclining backs. Sabrina, my almost 1.5 year old, slept while we wandered or ate. She would not have done so if she had to stay sitting up.
Girls tired at end of night waiting for fireworks.

3. Speaking of eating, don't be shy packing your bag with food & drinks. Outside food is allowed, even coolers but no one is crazy enough to drag that around the park. Also, my husband made the best purchase while we were at the grocery store, Ziploc bags. No, I am not kidding. Stash a bunch in your bag/backpack. If your kiddos get distracted, let's face it there are endless distractions at Disney, they won't eat much when you are paying inflated prices for your food, especially at the character meals. Put those chicken nuggets in that ziploc and when they are inevitably hungry 1 hour later, you have something more substantial than snacks to feed them.
Notice they are paying no attention to food on table.
Again,  food is the last thing on their minds.



















4. Let the park photographers take your pictures. They are in the best spots for a great background and they will still take a picture with your camera. The picture card they give you has a log-in code. So you can check them out online at your convenience. I didn't discover this til day 2. They are pricy but would be worth it if your camera battery dies, like mine did.
Taken with our camera by an off  photographer that was on a break. 
5. Check out the parades. There is one in each park about 3 and Magic Kingdom had this dance party several times a day. We stopped several times. Each time caught different spot and girls warmed up to the participation part. Plus, their waving was priceless.

Mia pointing, Dance Party
Livvy waving at 3 pm Dream parade
Livvy, Dance Party


6. You can get a fair amount of souvenirs before you get there for a much more cost efficient price. We bought our autograph books for $6 at Winn Dixie. Granted they are a spiral notebook and not bound book type that you could get in the park. But our girls are 3. While they cherish these now, they most likely will not survive the year. I will buy the nicer ones on a future trip.
Livvy rarely let this autograph book out of her grasp.
If you see something you really like, buy it. Don't hesitate. I browsed too long and left the store on Main Street without my trusty Christmas ornament. I had to leave due to a meltdown.

http://www.magicalearscollectibles.com/Disney-Photo-Christmas-Ornament--2012-Mickey-Mouse-Icon--2-x-2-_p_938.html  

Now, will have to pay shipping to buy it because I didn't make it back and I didn't see it in the outlet stores on the outside of the park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment